(which I just mentioned in a RAID thread)

Which reminds me -- what's currently good in tape drives for linux?
I've got an old, broken I think, HP DAT (straight DDS I think, 90
meter tapes, 2 gig uncompressed?) and tapes for it.  Given what it
cost to fix the last time, and the fact that I *had* to fix it once
already, and the difference between 2 gig and the size disks I have
these days, I probably ought to be thinking of a new drive.

I don't think I can afford something big enough to do everything
automatically on one set of tapes, because that would have to be a big
exabyte or an autochanger, and I'd really rather not spend more than
$500-$600 if I can manage it.  The TR5 spec looks marginally adequate
but the cartridges are expensive, and it looks like a DDS 3 DAT drive
plus the number of tapes I'd need would be cheaper and faster.  (Is
dds 3 the 12 gig uncompressed?)

Are there any stealth options that work well and are cheap?

One of my servers already has ultra wide SCSI in it.  I think I could
find a free IDE port in one of them also.  So either interface would
work.

What works well in current 2.2 kernels (I'm on redhat 6.2 roughly)?

And can all modern DAT drives read the older DAT tapes?  Write them?
I'd like to use my old tapes if possible for scratch and things
(obviously they're too short to back up much these days), and I'd like
to see if I have old stats reports or web logs on them to build up my
history section more.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/