On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:40:05PM -0600, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> How's Vorbis compare to MP3?  In size, replay and so forth.

oggs are smaller than mp3s, everyone says they sound better (although I can't
tell a 128k mp3 from a CD, so who am I to say?), and the format is patent-
free, without Frauenhofer or anyone else wanting you to pay for producing
hardware or software that uses it.  The main downside in my experience has
been that the encoding process takes a good deal longer, but, according to
this interview, that's been improved greatly in the latest release.  And, as
Bob's pointed out, if you have any hardware mp3 players, they're not likely
to recognize oggs.  (If you just use PCs, though, there's ogg123, an xmms
plugin, a winamp pluging, etc., so finding software to play them isn't a
problem.)

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting