For network diagrams, I use Visio 2000 professional.

There's a linux program called Dia which aims to have the functionality of
Visio, but it's not even close.  Visio was purchased by Micro$oft a year or
two ago, and it's still an excellent product.  Plus, if you're sending the
diagram around to other network people, there's a good chance they'll have a
copy of Visio to read it with (You can export in just about every graphics
format though if you need to).

Jay