> why on earth would you want to build a RAID out of 2 IDE drives?

It's cheap.  You can buy 2 80GB Maxtor IDE drives for $257 each, do software
raid or buy an Abit IDE RAID card for $50.  A 73GB Seagate SCSI drive is
around $950, plus you you need to buy a scsi card.  $500 vs $2000, I think
I'll stick with the IDE for home use.  Of course, I'm only storing an
audio/video archive, so it doesn't need to be fast.

Jay