I was thinking 4 or 5 IBM 36 GB drives in RAID 5. With 3 or 4 live with 1
hotspare.

1 Channel would do.

The Mylex AcceleRaid 170 is about $420. That seems reasonable.

Do you know if this controller is in the kernel, or something I have to
compile in?
Has anyone used this controller? Anyone ever had any issues with this
controller?