This has come up many times.  Frankly, people want to keep the list
Linux-centric, which seems logical considering it's a Linux list.
Personally, I use BSD more than Linux, but I still just post Linux stuff to
this list.  Mike Horwath has a local FreeBSD list.  Not high-traffic, but
you'll get quick responses...

I believe you need to send mail to

freebsd-users-request at Geeks.ORG

With subscribe in the subject.  Or email freebsd-users-admin at Geeks.ORG and
ask how to subscribe.  I think it's a mailman managed list.

Gabe