"Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie at wookimus.net> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 06:43:51PM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> >
> > > Short answer, you can't do it from Potato install disks.  However, you
> > > can do it the long way.
> >
> > <rest of Chewie's response snipped>
> >
> > So is the usual way of getting an LVM system to put it on new disks after
> > the initial install? Is this easier on other distributions of Linux?
> >
> > I guess I'm wondering what others do when they want to use LVM.
>
> They hack it in.  Face it.  LVM isn't mainstream yet.  It's only stock
> as of Linux 2.4 and it's still evolving.  Every new version of LVM
> requires a kernel patch and an upgrade to the tools, just like
> ReiserFS.  You're playing with relatively young code.  Mature enough
> to run in production, yes, but young none the less.

Just starting to investigate LVM; I'm wondering how it interacts with
MD.  Does it replace MD, or can it run with MD, or what?  The
flexibility in adding space seems great, but I'm currently getting
into mirrored or at least parity array storage for lots of stuff.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/