On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:13:29AM -0800, Scott Dagastino wrote:
> Since the price of computer equipment (MB, HD, etcs)
> are so inexpensive, I personaly would never run linux
> off of a cd.  You are limited to not being able to
> confire the files like httpd and the log files or
> .bash_profile.
>
> That is too limiting for any real practical use.

Funny, but I've thought about doing exactly this for my firewall.
Build a CD on a trusted machine with /bin, /usr, /etc.  Boot the
firewall from CD, and have a local disk for /var, or just syslog
to another machine.  Maybe some sort of intrusion detection to
reboot the machine if needed.

Another job for the to-do list...