if most of your data is audio and video then why do you need
to do periodic backups--even if its only monthly? The majority
of my data is DivX and mp3's. they never change so i burn then
to CD once (i also have a dds3 drive too) and they are permanent
archives. It may take sometime at first but your should never have
to make another backup. Even with 4-8gig tape drives and a
pile of tapes you only need to back them up once. Then the data
that is "dynamic" and probably more valuable can be backed up
or stored on a raid or mirror set--since i assume that is only a
small percentage of your 300gig.

Of course depending on what your data is your mileage may
vary. For my data needs this works good enuf. For DivX i burn
them to CD so i can watch them on my laptop or lend them to
a friend. I kill two birds with one CD then.