Sounds more like a configuration problem with the networkin choices that
were set up.  I have only recently started using VMWare and running on
RH 6.2 and have win98 and winNT mounting Netware, SAMBA, and NT
shares.

I have spent a number of hours working  in software development
compiling projects, testing code, etc... and and thoroughly impressed. The
best thing I've come along since sliced bread and VNC.

The only shortcoming I have found is that  I can't run one of my destractions
(Risk (r)) due to the virtual vmware video driver (16 colors or 16bit, no 256
color)
or . A minor inconvience considering what I gain in stability and simultaneously
running multiple environments on one machine.

Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> > One potential problem for a production envireonment, it doesn't speak the
> > microsoft networking language, so you can't use it for SMB mounts.  You
> > can however use linux to mount the windows (or hopefully samba) shares
> > into a directory that Windows can see.

> I'm slightly confused. You're saying that you can't mount windows shares in
> VM, but that if you mount them through Linux the VM can see them?
> EWWWWWWWWWWWWW! That really sucks. VMWare doesn't have such limitations. The
> Windows VMWare clients work fine for sharing files and mapping network
> driver. I've even had both NT and Windows 2000 domain controllers as well as
> Citrix terminal servers working under VMWare. VMWare is an excellent
> testbed. (Undoable disks are quite useful.)

That's basically it, VMWare is much better if you really want to do more than
just run some apps.  Mine was a cost consideration and since I don't want to do
anything but run some "legacy" applications it didn't matter much to me that it
doesn't know about MS networking.