On 15 Feb 2001, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> writes:
>
> > This will be my first "real" server install that will be providing Internet
> > services on a large scale. I really want to do things right.
> >
> > I think I'd like to give LVM a try on this beast.
>
> I don't know anything about LVM; this isn't a slam at LVM.  But I see
> a problem with "real server install", "do things right", and "give LVM
> try" in connection with the SAME server.  You shouldn't be "giving
> things a try" on a critical production server that you want to do
> right.

I was kidding a bit. I maintain several Web and file servers now, but this
will be the first server that cost more than both of my cars are worth put
together. :-) My hope is that we're reaching a critical mass of sorts in our
school district and use of the Web resources that have been developed so far
will really grow over the next few months.

In general, I'd say that many of us who aren't professional sysadmins worry
a bit when undertaking large projects. Like many other hobbyists or
amateurs, I'm essentially a team of one when it comes to taking care of this
machine. The TCLUG has been an invaluable resource for me whenever
I've stuck my neck out in the past and I'll continue to count on the advice
of the list in the future. Besides, I know that for free beer I could
probably have any number of the pros on the list over to help me out in
person in a matter of minutes. :-)

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/