Funny that you should ask, I am working on this right now...

> What is the best command to get a live system to a bootable cdrom?
>
> dd
> mkiso/cdrecord
>
> I want to take a live redhat linux system and put it to a cd.

The route is most likely a combination of mkisofs, with the (ElTorito)
bootable cd-rom extensions turned on (-b), and then a simple cdrecord
session. The / filesystem should be first be prepared of it's own. You can
see this tehnique in the sample cdrecord command line a couple of paragraphs
below, I assume the the Cdrom filesystem-to-be in mounted under 'FD10-000331'

My interest in this was sparked a few weeks ago when I read about the NIC
(aka ThinkNIC or New Internet Computer) which runs a Linux OS from a CD-rom,
using a 4MB flash ROM for /tmp /var and a few other things. I wanted a
version of Linux that would do the same, but use a small (40MB max) HD (or
compact flash card) as it's /tmp and /var. The NIC OS is freely available,
but it's kernel will not boot on generic hardware, it must be NIC hardware.
Here is a link to the NIC OS ISO image:

http://www.thinknic.com/about/gpl.html

On the bottom of the page they list the mkisofs command that they are using
to build their bootable / runnable image. Thanks, guys:

mkisofs -b boot/boot.img.hda -c boot.cat -A 'NIC' -l -L -N -o
/home/nc/image.raw -P MA -p 00-03-31 -R -V FD10-000331 -v

Next, I was put onto a unique distribution called DemoLinux, which
(supposedly) does all of this as well, thus I don't need to reinvent the
wheel. I downloaded the DemoLinux ISO, but the resultant CDrom is
unbootable... I used 'cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=2 -v -eject demolinux.iso'
which has never failed to produce a bootable disk in the past. Weird. Full
info, download etc avaialble from:

http://www.demolinux.org/

Sorry if this got long.

--

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-