my first step would be to fdisk from within Linux
since MS fdisk cannot has major personality problems
with logical ext2 partitions

but we can skip this with the zero-fill and/or
Partition Magic and/or other good partitioning
software

now i came accross the same MBR problem after a failed
DOS 6.22 installation...(how i fumbled this one up -
dont ask) not Fdisk, zero-fill not anything would help
(not even the dreaded fdisk /mbr) your best is to find
a low-lovel formater on www.simtel.net or
www.google.com

failing that... find an old 386/486/pentium that give
the option to low-level format in the BIOS - thats
what i did...

and i just thought of this... do a "DESRUCTIVE" disk
check... works wonders on win2krap

just my little ramble...
 -munir

=====