Spencer Underground wrote:

> Has anyone had the pleasure of loading wincrap on a drive that previously
> housed llinux?
> I have had mild sucess with this. But I have a very stubborn WD that will
> not forget the mbr of its previous life. I zero filled the drive and still
> nothing. It shows the classic symptoms of a virus i.e. master boot record
> modified  ide drivers corrupt,,,,that sort of thing. But no virus found , at
> least not at antivirus.com. Maybe I just need some better quality herb or
> something, but I think lilo and win do not get along real nicely.
> Incidentally, I had a simular situation on an NTFS drive. I was able to
> repair the mbr and recover the data. But that was a different situation.
> Still stemming from lilo and win.

If you want to hose the MBR on a disk, just do something like `dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda'

Note that you don't point it to /dev/hda1 -- just hda.

If you want to somehow recover an MBR, that's a bit more tricky, though
LILO does keep the original MBR, usually in /boot/boot.0300 (for hda,
the file would be slightly differently named if it's for a different
drive).  You can try to restore it by doing `dd if=/boot/boot.0300
of=/dev/hda' or `/sbin/lilo -u'.

Of course, this has two requirements: The OS that was installed before
Linux has to have been DOS or Windows and those files have to still
exist on the hard drive.

If you can find a DOS/Win boot diskette with fdisk on it, just run
`fdisk /mbr'

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Why are they called
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   apartments, when they're