I've got a document a (Windows-using) friend sent me, which I'm guessing
was created using a unicode font.  It claims to be

but the actual text has sections which look like

The Identity of the god R\355g
from the Eddic Poem R\355gs\376\372la

How would I go about cleaning this up and making it web-readable?
Ideally, I would like to do it such that the \nnn codes will display
the correct Icelandic characters in a browser, but I suspect that
transliterating to standard ASCII would be the most widely-compatible
way to go.

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting