Wouldn't it be cool if someone took an eeprom burner and made a micro
distribution and put it on an on-board ethernet controller.  Basically,
the ethernet controller would have about 1-15MB flash memory on which a
micro distribution lived.

Of course, you could think this one to death... "If we have a useful OS on
the flash memory on the ethernet controller, what good it the system
itself?"  Can you imagine a massive disk array hanging off a single
eepro100b or the like? :-)

Peter Lukas