On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:22:16PM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> We're about to order a new Compaq DL380 to be our district's Web
> server. It will be running Linux of course. The head geek here wants
> to buy a Compaq Remote Insight Board for the machine so it can be
> managed remotely. His main concern is that he doesn't know Linux and
> is afraid that if something goes wrong he won't be able to fix it. I
> have some concerns about having to secure yet another access point
> to the server. Basically, this board is like it's own little
> computer with a NIC and a tiny Web server that any client can access
> from a browser. It does support SSL.

If it only manages hardware, not a biggie.  If it tries to manage
anything else, you'll likely have problems.  Just make sure he doesn't
try to reboot the machine remotely unless you can send the
CTRL-ALT-DEL signal to the host OS.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD