Ok, I'm a new Dweebian^WDebian user; and I am wondering how experienced
users deal with .rpms and non-.deb'ed software.
since the stuff on the debian mirrors is commonly months behind the latest
version (or maybe you're testing alpha versions of a project); what do you
do if there is a .rpm (or even just a .tgz) for a package you might already
have installed with dpkg?

do you just install with RPM, or build & install from source; and
1. hope your installation doesn't break something in the Debian arrangement;
or
2. that it won't be overwritten by your next apt-get upgrade (since dpkg
doesn't know you have this shiny new version in place of the old one).

do you convert the .rpm to a .deb with alien; and hope nothing breaks?

make a .deb package yourself, taking a lot of time (which others will have
to duplicate as well, since you aren't a debian package contributor and have
no desire to be one).

Here at Real-Time, we build .rpms for everything; especially custom
packages. Bob & Nate can build rpms from scratch faster than you'd believe.
:) this is not the course I want to follow as a single-workstation home
user, however.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer