On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:46:52AM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:
> I might be missing something here, but what is the difference
> between OpenGL and Mesa?

There was a GREAT article that explained the differences between the
different 3D accel environments for Linux.  The bottom line comes down
to this.  If you have 3D accel hardware, you should upgrade to the
2.2.18+ or the 2.4.x kernel to get your /dev/agpart and DRM support
for your specific video card.  Then use XFree86 v4.0.1 or greater to
get your DRI support.  Quake III plays just as fast in Linux for me as
it does in Windows now with this setup on my VooDoo-III 3000 AGP.  The
cool 3D screensavers actually run at a normal speed, too! ;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD