> I am obviously a newbie, because I am asking such rudimentary questions. My
> first concerns the

act of (re)compiling the kernel. I have been doing some reading on the matter.
What is unclear
to me at this point is what actually constitutes compiling the kernel.  For
example, if I change
some parameters in my XF86config file, did I just recompile the kernel? If I
reconfigure
LILO, did I recompile. Does complilation only refer to the vmlinuz file? My
understanding is this,
the conf files are all a modular part of the core kernel that is loaded at boot
(vmlinuz). So by this
understanding, anytime I modify or add any configuration file, I just recompiled
the kernel. I would
sure appreciate any wisdom on this topic.
I am very much looking forward to the installfest that is coming up.

-Spencer Underground