On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 02:36:48PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> Thanks for all the ideas!  I'm considering using DOS but after
> playing with Debian last night I think I can make it fit.  I've got
> Slink 2.1, running kernel 2.0.38 or something really old.  There's a
> low memory bootdisk image for systems with 2 MB RAM, I might try
> that tonight.  I'm also considering "rolling my own".  I guess I'll
> just try some of this stuff and see what works best.
>
> While I want this laptop to be functional, I also want to have fun
> getting it that way.  Installing DOS is something I do every day at
> work, it's time for a new challenge.

There are a couple places I'd send you to.  One is www.linuxdoc.org to
take a look at the HOWTO's.

Because you're going to use a laptop w/4 megs:

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/4mb-Laptops.html

Since you plan on having it act as a router:

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html

And a link that'll give you a basic understanding as to what happens
when you boot your box (MUST READ):

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html

Now, you should really follow the Linux Router Project:

    http://www.linuxrouter.org/

Your time might best be spent reading through the recent mailing list
archives.  There's a few setups of LRP to consider.  There's a more
extensive Guide on how to build Linux from Scratch (which is
essentially what you're doing with LRP):

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html#lfs

Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD