On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu wrote:

> You'll be _really_ lucky to get Linux in a useable state with only 4 MB of
> RAM and on a 60 MB harddrive.  Older version of Slackware (<= 3.4, maybe),
> _might_ fit, but the install will be a bitch.  The problem with going with
> an old version is that laptop support will suck.
>
> You're right, the real solution is upgrade your laptop.  Unfortunately, I'd
> say it's most likely your only solution.
>
> But.. I've been called a pessimist.

One might look at the 4mb-Laptops HOWTO.  It is for just this sort of
thing.  You won't want X<!>  For a test, try booting up tomsrtbt.  The key
here is the definition of "useable" state.

As has been mentioned, Linux (a multi-user multitasking OS) is not really
called for for your router terminal apps.  Frankly, being that I hate DOS,
I'd dig out some of my old CP/M stuff!

Cheers,
Phil M

 --
"He who hesitates last gets the worm" -- PM