> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 04:07:06PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> I'm not looking to start a war here but I'm looking for comments /
> suggestions on a good distro. I've got a 386 laptop with 4 MB RAM and a 60
> MB hard drive.  The real solution here would be "upgrade your laptop",
> but this is what I have.  My primary use for this machine is Cisco work. I
> basically need a laptop that has VT100 terminal emulation (minicom is
> nice), dialup, and ethernet capability.  I need something light, fast, and
> stable as my laptop is none of these.  I've been born and raised on Redhat
> but dabbled with Debian.  Slack is beyond my understanding.  FreeBSD is
> just plain obscure.  Any suggestions on a tight, fast OS to accomodate my
> needs?

You might want to try one of the "mini-distributions".  I haven't played with
many of them, but there are several really small distributions out
there. The only one I've really played with is Tom's Root Boot
<http://www.toms.net/rb/>.  The whole thing fits on one floppy and
has most of the stuff you wanted.

A better option might be to go with an old version of Debian. I'd
probably try either Hamm (2.0) or Bo (1.3.1). (Browing the Bo
installation manual it says you need 4 MB of RAM and 40 MB of disk,
so you might want to start there.) You can find them at
ftp://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/, or if you want to wait
till the next meeting someone would probably loan you their old CDs
(I would if I ever made it to meeetings ;) ). Anyway, I think that you
could fit a workable system into your contraints, but you'd have
to trim off a lot of packages that Debian wants to install by default.
X (obviously), TeTeX, emacs, Perl, and all of those compiler and
development packages.  Anyway, that's what I'd try.

Jim

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |