> First, the background. Redhat made some whacky changes to thier directory
> structure AFTER I had successfully mirrored the old structure.
>
> Second, I use rsync.

It's not clear how you're using rsync in here.
I gather you're trying to do 2 operations:
- rearrange your local dir stuff to match redhat's
- rsync remaining stuff from RH to your rearranged localdir
right?

What's the rsync command that apparently puts stuff in the wrong spot?

Andy

BTW, You can also use rsync to do your "fancy move".