fertch at mninter.net wrote:

> > Well, what hard drive is set as the boot device? You want LILO on this
> > device, not the device where you installed Linux. (IE, if you installed
> > Linux on hdb1, you want lilo to be installed on hda.)
>
>  Where do I designate this when dealing with multiple drives?

/etc/lilo.conf
# Boot Device
boot=/dev/hda
# Root Device
root=/dev/hda1

The boot device is the first hard drive (hard drive 0) Usually this is hda.
You can change this in your computers BIOS. For mine I can set any of the
four ide devices, or scsi as my first boot device. You also have to tell
your SCSI card what device to boot from, Press Ctrl+A when your SCSI card
bios displays.

> I tried different partitions to help distribute the load: /var on /dev/sda2,
> swap on /sda1, /home on /dev/hdb1, and so on.  I wasn't sure if this was causing
> the boot problems or not.  Is there a problem with having a partition setup like
> this?

Nope.

> Will have to check more on this later.  I thought that the scsi drivers were
> use the boot disk (with scsi card modules on it: aic7xxx.s).  Thought that might
> have done it.  I also said for it to load the scsi things on setup.  When
> looking at the fstab file, I noticed that my floppy, cd-rom, and scsi HDD
> weren't listed in there.

Probally a sign that something failed. If you're booting from the SCSI hd
you WILL need to have the scsi drivers compiled into the kernel. If you're
not booting from SCSI, you should be able to get away with modules.
Personally I'd just compile it in.

I've had some issues with the aic7xxx series, but eventually I got it
working and things fly. If you need to check on your scsi drivers, go to
/proc/scsi/.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132