On Monday 31 December 2001 18:48, you wrote:
> I just went out to the RealAudion site to check for new versions of the
> player for Linux.  There's a new player out there, but it's only for
> Windows.  So I got to thinking, are there any RealAudio or Windows Media
> Player clones out there for Linux?  It's be nice to have another option to
> listen to streaming audio with.  No, using something like IceCast doesn't
> help because I want to listen to sites that are already out there.

The BBC has been doing some testing in Ogg format:

http://support.bbc.co.uk/ogg/

Love listening to the beeb with xmms!
The radio-1 streams are great, while the radio-4 streams I listened
to seem to be streaming in at 40kbps just below the required encoded bit-rate
(44kHz) which is way more than enough for voice, but is just what they
picked.  The radio-1 streams seem to be (high of around 100kbps with 44kHz
encoding and the "low bandwidth" comes in at 64kbps with the same 44kHz
encoding.)

73's and happy new year!!
Kelly Black
KB0GBJ