Is the machine a user?

If the machine were named "pickles" you would:

  % adduser pickles$

and maybe escape the '$' in 'pickles$' with a
backslash (\) or put the whole thing in single
quotes.

I think that is all that is needed. Please correct me
if I am wrong,

Troy

>>> jspinti at dart.dartdist.com 12/31/01 08:49AM >>>
Over the weekend my home server died.  Both the HD and the network card went
at the same time :(

Anyway, I took the opportunity to upgrade the system to 32 MB of EDO RAM
(ransacked from other machines) and install RH 7.2.  I had a backup :) of
the Samba config file, dropped it in, added all the users back in, copied
the data files back, etc.  Everything is fine, except for the NT
workstation.  I added the machine using smbpasswd -a -m, it shows up nicely
in the smbpasswd file, just like it should.  But, when I try to log on from
the NT workstation, it says that the machine is not registered with the PDC.
I look in the event log, and it says the same thing.  When I run NT
diagnostics from the Administrative tools menu, it shows the correct machine
as the PDC with the correct domain.

I remember this happening to me once before, and I was able to fix it.  But,
now I can't remember what I did.  Anybody had this problem before and
remember?  I think it has something to do with the new hashes in the
smbpasswd file not matching the ones on the workstation, but am not sure...

Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist dot com
952-368-3278 ext. 396