The other day I bought a DDS-2 tape changer, thinking that would
simplify my backups.  I just have a desktop workstation at home, and
have been backing it up with a DDS-1 drive, using taper.

As far as I can tell, taper won't exploit the changer, and the
software that will is amanda.  That's fine, but there seem to be two
problems with amanda:

1.  It's a big, complicated thing, unlike taper (which is quite
adequately complicated, but not on the same scale) and

2.  A full file system backup must fit onto a single tape.

The second seems pretty fatal, since I'm only going to have DDS-2s
(and, for the time being, would love to use my supply of DDS-1s).  Now
I'm going to have to split up my full, two-tape backup (I don't have
that much stuff on my system, mostly text), into a bunch of smaller
backups that will fit in a single tape and, worse, if I get a mess of
MP3's or something, may suddenly blow past the one-tape limit and have
to restructure my backups.

So... is there something that will work better with a tape changer and
relatively small tapes?

Thanks!