On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 10:07:45PM -0600, Yaron wrote:

> Ok, this is weird. I thought ext3 and ex2 were interchangable, so all
> you'd need to do to swich was compile a kernel with ext3 support, and then
> mount an ext2 partition as ext3. All the docs I read seem to indicate
> that.

I think that ext3 is backwards compatible -- i.e., you can mount ext3
as ext2, but *not* the other way around without a juggle.

I think for it to be recognized as ext3, it really has to have the
journal files there.

I've only been playing with them a little, but that's my current
understanding.  Let me know if you find otherwise.

Phil

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood