I just bought a new 1 GHz Athlon machine today and went to install a friend's
copy of Mandrake 7.2, and I wish I could say it was easy, but it's been a
tremendous hassle.  Never mind the way the installer crashes if you don't
wait for a CD to spin up before telling it the disc is in the drive, never
mind the way the installer crashes in the middle of configuring X Windows.
Those are minor problems because Linux is now working.

The problem is that when I went to install Windows 98 on the partition I had
created for that purpose, it apparently overwrote the boot loader (GRUB).
That's what I'm guessing, anyway, because GRUB didn't start and I just got a
"Disk I/O error".  So I fired up the Mandrake installer again and got GRUB
back, and now Linux boots fine, but Windows still doesn't.  Screen output
looks like this:

Booting 'windows'

root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xb
makeactive
chainloader +1

Disk I/O error
Replace the disk, and then press any key

So, aside from getting Mandrake 8.1, which I have every intention of doing,
what can I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!  --Ben