On 24 Dec 2001, ScanMan wrote:

> Imagine trying to diagnose THAT one under Winblows!

This device is not working properly.  Maybe it's a driver problem.  Sorry,
updating the drivers did nothing.  Oh, that little exclamation point means
IRQ conflict.  No you may not change it.  Try re-installing the
drivers.  Nope, those didn't work either.  Maybe the hardware is
bad.  Updating the drivers might fix that.

Reboot.

New device found.  Unknown device.  Device is working properly.
USB port found.  Device is working properly, unless you were intending to
use it.

New device wants your old IRQ.  There's a conflict.  No you may not change
it.  Try updating the drivers.  Your device is not working properly.

And it goes on and on until you whip out Tom's root boot and find out what
IRQs are really causing the problem.  Took me nearly a week to find a
sound card that got assigned to IRQ 7 automagically.  Couldn't print, no
sound.  Modem wanted IRQ 5.  Set jumpers on modem to COM4 (shared IRQ
3).  Windoze conmplained and made my mouse (IRQ 4) decide to stop
working.  Finally got that modem onto IRQ 11 (not sure how it did that,
but whatever..) the sound back to IRQ 5 and all was good.  Then COM2
stopped working.  Still trying to figure that out.

-Brian