The ext2 filesystem in linux is mounted in asynchronous mode by default.
This means that when you write something to the drive, it will be held in
memory until the OS gets around to writing it to disk.  It does this for
performance reasons.  If you shutdown your machine by just turning it off,
you don't give the OS a chance to actually write that data out to disk,
risking file corruption, or entire filesystem corruption.

However, if you use one of the new journaling filesystems, like ReiserFS or
ext3, you won't have to worry so much about it.  Journaling filesystems keep
a journal around of what files it needs to still update.  In the event of a
crash, it can go back and look at that journal to figure out what needed to
be done when it crashed.  You might still lose data from files recently
saved, but it pretty much eliminates the possibility of corruption of the
whole filesystem.  You should always do a proper shutdown regardless of what
filesystem you are using.