As someone who frequently overclocks all my systems, I usually get my share of "lockups" in both Windows and Linux. From personal experience, a hard reboot will cause about the same amount of problems in either OS. Both have utilities to try and fix corrupt filesystems (scandisk, fsck) but you still risk losing data. Now that linux journaled filesystems are stable, this isn't that big of an issue anymore.

BTW, NTFS is kind of like a journaled filesystem. VFAT is not.