On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 02:06AM -0600, Shawn wrote:
> 2)  For ip-chains and ip-filter, what packages do I need to install?  Someone

Welcome to the wonder that is Debian. You should be able to do

  apt-get install ipchains

(as root) and it will automatically tell you about other packages that
need to be installed. All you'll have to do is hit 'y'. That alone would
make me prefer Debian to Red Hat: virtually zero DLL hell.

Some people like dselect, deity, or what have you. Use what you like;
they all do more or less the same thing.

Remember, though: ipchains is for 2.2 kernels, ipfilter is for 2.4
kernels. Debian stable is still using 2.2 kernels.

Another tip that took me a long time to learn: "apt-cache" is your
friend. Do "apt-cache search foo" to list all packages that refer to
"foo" and "apt-cache show foobar" will show a description of package
foobar. It beats going to debian.org all the time.

Dan
who would rather check email than see It's A Wonderful Life *again*...
:)