Hello, I have Mandrake Linux 8.1 on my machine with Windows 98 also. When I go through the installation of Linux it all goes good untill configuring the color for xwindows. After I pick the colors and settings for my monitor I click "ok". After that it goes to a black screen that says:

"insmod:a module named scsi_mod already exists
/tmp/imm.o:int_module:no such device
/tmp/ppa.o:int_module:no such device"

After that my computer freezes and I have to restart. Linux still loads but not in xwindows like it is supposed to. I log into root then at the prompt I type: "startx". When I hit enter I get a message saying:

"xauth: creating new authority file /root/.xauthority
xauth:creating new authority file /root/.xauthority

Execve failed for /x11/x (errno 2)
giving up.
xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2):Unabe to connect to x server
xinit:no such process (errno 3): server error"

My computer is a custom made 800mhz duron, 20 gig hd, 256mb ram, it has a Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter, SupraMax 56k PCI modem, AdvanceSys PCI SCSI Host Adapter, my graphics card is a S3 Graphics Inc ProSavage. I have tryed installing Linux 4 times and it has the same problem everytime. Im new to Linux so getting xwindows running is pretty important. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
-Derek