On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:18:53PM -0600, Clay Fandre wrote:

> To get a better idea of how the world of OSS works, they would like
> to "get their feet wet" by contributing to an existing project, and
> eventually starting their own. They have asked me to provide some
> "knowledge" and experience on how they can get started, since they
> know I run the TCLUG. Since I know some of you have contributed to
> projects more than I have, I am asking you. Does anyone have past
> experiences with OSS projects that you could share? Lessons learned?

I'd like to expand on Clay's question by asking also for "HOWTO" tips:
details on learning some of the mechanics (CVS, for example) and
getting into the middle of an existing code base -- I'm sure there are
a few opinions on the "right" and "wrong" ways to do some of these
things.

Thanks!

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood