> Over the last week or so I've been experiencing some very mild numbness and
> tingling in my left index finger. Also, it occasionally twitches
> very slightly. Is this an early sign of RSI? Is it time to shell out 300
> clams on that Kinesis keyboard? (http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/)

here's my experience with this sort of thing:

1. most important thing I've learned: keep your arms in line with your
hands. i.e. if the back of your hand is in line with the back of your arm,
you're 10x less likely to get RSI.
	- most standard keyboards are not amenable to this
	- most mice suck even worse. most of them force you to bend your
	  wrist up, in order to cover the mouse with your fingers in the
	  right place.

2. I was getting tingling and numbness in my right pinky finger, so I went
out and bought a Kinesis Ergo Essential keyboard. CSI Ergonomics
(www.csiergonomics.com) is a local company that sells them. $200, 6 weeks of
practice later, it was a real improvement. it actually forced me to learn to
type properly (rather than hunting-and-pecking really fast); and the wrist
rests (actually palm rests, as it should be) keep my arms aligned properly
for reduced strain (see item 1.).

I think the Kinesis keyboards are a worthwhile thing; and I know of a bunch
of other people who like them as well. they do take some learning; but once
that's over with, you'll be glad you did it.

the other nice thing is that they dissuade other people from using your
keyboard. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer