On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 01:59:56PM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 09:18:10AM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > I added ext3 journals to my ext2 filesystems last night (finally
> > upgraded to debian's 2.4.16 kernel), rebooted with an fstab reflecting
> > the changes, and it almost worked.  All of my filesystems except for /
> > are mounted as ext3.  The kernel detected the filesystem on my root
> > partition as ext2.
> >
> > Is there an appropriate way to kick the kernel into mounting it as
> > ext3?
>
> /etc/fstab needs to have the filetype "auto" instead of ext2 selected.
> Also, ext3 has to be compiled monolithically into the kernel...  no
> modules.

Not exactly true.  I have an ext3 / and am using an ext3fs module.  If you
do so, you need to make an initrd image for your kernel.  man mkinitrd.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu