I like this idea of a list of topics.  Here is my added $.02:

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Joel T Schneider wrote:

- Define "Operating System".
- What _is_ Linux.  Perhaps a very short historical perspective
inserted here.

Perhaps focus on what a user will _see_.  Show them what you are talking
about.  When I first started out, I found it frustrating to have a group
of hovering geeks talk about their Distro preferences.  Chose one
and just start from there.  [Maybe don't even tell them (unless they ask)
about other Distros at first.]  You all can fight about which one it would
be (RH), but introduce new things to your audience gradually.  They will
already see "very different" things if you show them different Desktop
Environments.  You can introduce them to "a version of Linux called [your
disputed disto goes here]."  Stay above the kernel for now.  :)

> 1. Comparison of Linux Distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, Debian,
>    Slackware, ...)
> 2. Office Productivity Software (StarOffice, KOffice, AbiWord, OpenOffice,
>    ...)
> 3. Desktop Environments (Gnome, KDE, WindowMaker, Sawmill, fvwm2, twm,
>    ...)

For some in this audience, you will have do define what a "server" is
before you go on to this topic.
> 4. Server Capabilities (web server, file server, print server, mail server
>    database server -- Apache, Samba, Sendmail, Postfix, Postgresql, MySQL,
>    InterBase/Firebird, ...)

Can you speak of these topics in terms other than "Client," "Networking,"
and "Server"?  Maybe stick to their functions:
"You can print..."  "You can search for things on the Internet..."
Forget ipchains/iptables...  Think of the top three things that a user
wants to do.  Show them how to do those three things, or even one of them,
and they will feel like they accomplished something.

> 5. Client and Networking Capabilities (file and print services, web
>    browsers, X, vnc, ipchains/iptables, ...)

This depth is for another audience or the future of this audience.

> 6. System Administration Overview (file system layout, webmin, linuxconf,
>    vnc, ssh, distro specific tools, ...)

You would spend all of your time defining what these terms mean, and no
one in the audience is programming.
> 7. Software Development (gcc, gdb, perl, python, java, CodeWarrior,
>    NetBeans, Kylix/Delphi, ...)

Again, what is Oracle, what is DB2, what is Sybase, what are IDEs?...
> 8. Commercial Software (Oracle, DB2, Sybase, games, IDEs, ...)
>
> It would also probably be a good idea to create a questionnaire for TCPC
> members that asks which linux topics they would be most interested in
> seeing for future presentations.
How do they know what Linux topics are out there?  How about "Name three
things that you would like to know how to do, using a Linux
machine, that you do not know how to do yet?"

uak
PS.  This makes me imagine trying to teach a young kid violin by playing a
recording of Perlman playing some flashy technical piece and you look to
your student and say "See what you can do with your violin?!"