On Sunday 16 December 2001 10:34, Bill Layer wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 06:41:14 -0600
>
> "Terry Houle" <houle at citilink.com> wrote:
> > My only reason for the comment about GUI vs. command line is that I want

> > engage our group in Linux and make sure they see how easy it can be.  I
> > think some of the command line is necessary and want to have some of
>
> that in
>
> > there also but I just want to make sure they get a healthy dose of the
>
> GUI
>
> > to see they can make it work form there.
>
> um, and to exactly which of the many Linux GUIs are you specifically
> referring? KDE, Gnome, ICEwm, WindowMaker, Blackbox etc etc? There is no
> single standard GUI for Linux. Learning to use a Linux GUI is really not
> any different from learning to use a new (elaborate) piece of software
> _under_ a Windows GUI. While at first one might be in the dark, a little
> common sense, exploration and trial & error will get things done. It's
> also important to remember that you don't need to be a Linux user to read
> the Help for a Linux program..

Maybe what can be done is different presenters with different GUIs. Since one
of the things we "preach" about Linux is flexibility. Then maybe part of this
introduction should show just that. While I'll use SuSE with KDE, Bill would
use Slackware with ICEwm, and somebody else uses Debian and Gnome.

Anyway mark me down as interested in being one of the presenters.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com