What the heck.... my $.02 before the thread finally dies.....

About the great aunt.... she was probably typing on a manual typewriter, at
least for most of her career. (How many people remember those? And yes, you
can type 120+ wpm on one of those--my mom could too. What can you say, but
"Wow.") BIG difference in how your hands work compared to an
electric/keyboard.

The Mayo study. Whatever. Maybe it's not called CTS, RSI, or ????, but
there's definite pain in my wrists and arms after a day of heavy-duty
typing. And obviously, I'm not the only one. (Yeah, the Mayo is a great
hospital. But every once in a while they release the results of a study, and
you wonder how the heck they came to their conclusions.)

As for positioning of the keyboard and mouse, I've found that I have much,
much less pain if the keyboard is flat (break off those damn riser pegs if
you have to!--they are a big part of the problem), right in front of me, and
down low enough that my forearms are level or even angled downward slightly.
And the mouse needs to be right next to the keyboard, at the same level as
the keyboard. If you've got a keyboard tray that's only wide enough for the
keyboard, get rid of it and adjust the height of your chair. Having the
keyboard and mouse at different heights is just as bad or worse than the
riser pegs on the keyboard.

If the mouse is really giving you a bad time, do as others suggest and
replace it with a different device--a trackball, touch pad, tablet, or even
a touch screen. (Yeah, the last one is a pretty spendy option, but it might
work for you.)

Interestingly, the wrist pads also seem to aggravate the problem, probably
because their very nature adds even more pressure to the wrist area.

And lastly, you may want to ask your employer for one of those split
keyboards that attach your office chair, especially if you can't get a
decent desk that was actually made for typing. (Most are way too high.)
These keyboards are expensive, but I know people for whom it made a big
improvement.

Lee Behrens