Sorry, I'm Way Off Topic, but,

Wild thought about evolution in the computer market:
How many companies made computers when you were a kid that
were vastly different and forced the "other guys" to play
catch up...

(Apple, Atari, Sinclair (Amstrad et all..),
Timex (really? a watch maker made computers?), Acorn, Coleco,
Commodore (Pet-Amiga), Franklin (and who could forget the other
knock off Apple wannabes: Pear and Bananna!), Kaypro, Laser, Osborne,
Tandy (Pocket computer to the Trash-80), TI...)

How many now?

So good of IBM/Microsoft to come in and help push technology along
by giving us a machine without a floppy, less memory than even the lowest end
game oriented machine (for far more money than the $50-$500 machines of the
time).  The IBM PC was a pile of dung compared to many of the machines the
proceeded it. No sound chip (before sound cards), and no using the timer chip
to make noise was not as good as even the worst 2 voice sound chip on even
the cheapest machine.  No decent graphics till the VGA (even then some
machines had much better graphics).

Yes one could argue that they legitimized the PC for business use, but don't
you think some companies had been using other machines for business purposes
just fine by that point?

I think that the market was doing just fine (fragmented and incompatible as
all get out), but when you could get a new machine for the price of what you
pay for a decent video card now who cares.

O.K. I am done ranting (30 something remember the good old days).

Kelly Black
73's KB0GBJ