> on the same topic, i always thought that kill -9 would end a process
> imediately and uncleanly if needed, it there a command that will kill no
> mater what, as in a "stop this stupid process, take away all resources
> from it, forget it ever existed and if it gives you any shit ignore it"
> command
>
>  -munir

no. there is not yet any 'kill it no matter what' command. kill -9 is pretty
strong; but it can't kill *everything*.
especially things that are waiting on I/O, are difficult to kill. I've
managed to hang processes that were acessing CD-ROMs or tape drives, such
that a reboot was needed to restore the operation of the device.

tape drives are particularly bad, in my experience; I think it's because I/O
is so slow on them. so *don't* kill a process (tar, dump, etc) that's
acessing a tape device, unless you're willing to deal with it hanging and
forcing a reboot to make it work again.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer