> On Friday 14 December 2001 09:40, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > I had symptoms like this about 2 years ago.  It got so bad that I
> > would just go home for the rest of the day around noon or
> so.  It felt
> > like someone had smashed both of my wrists with a big hammer.
> >
> > I bought a Microsoft Ergo keyboard, and a trackball (I'm
> now using the
> > MS Trackball Optical, thumb operated).  I haven't had
> problems since.
> > As soon as I get on a regular keyboard, or use a regular
> mouse for any
> > period of time, the pain starts to come back.  Keyboards and
> > trackballs are one thing that MS got right.
> >
> > Jay
>

>   I use standard equipment (keyboard, mouse, etc).  The only
> thing that I've
> bought for more comfort while typing, is a gelpad for the
> keyboard.  If I'm
> on for long lengths of time, I get soreness in the wrists but
> it goes away
> when I get up and walk around for a bit.
>
>   Try getting involved in some other activities as well that
> don't involve
> typing or such.  Not to sound "preachy" but, try to get
> active in sports or
> something to allow you to use your hands more often than
> letting them sit on
> a keyboard all the time.  Personally, I liftweights as well
> as am involved in
> Tae Kwon Do.  Since having been more involved with these, I
> don't experience
> so much wrist hand issues anymore.

I've lifted almost everyday for the past 4 years or so.  I do plenty of
other activities, but I also do a ton of typing.  I noticed that my wrists
would be sore at the gym also, but when I got the new keyboard, the soreness
while lifting went away.  The other activities may help, but they certainly
don't prevent this kind of problem.  If you have your wrists bent at a
slight angle all day long while moving your fingers, it's pretty much
certain to eventually affect you, regardless of other ways you use to
exercise your wrists.