On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:49:04PM -0800, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> According to the latest SPEC2000 benchmarks, the IBM eServer pSeries 690
> Turbo is a screamer.  It has a "POWER4" CPU in it.  I've never heard of the
> machine or the CPU before.  Has anyone else?

This is the replacement for the S70 and S80 Raven.
The 690 is supposed to compare to the Sun E10K with far fewer processors.

I worked on the S70 and S80.  Very nice machines.  IBM is finally getting on the UNIX
train. Finally.
All they had before those machines was the R or S50 servers.  Which were painful to
run over 20 oracle users on.  Good luck with 500.

A lot of Oracle people only recommend SUN servers, but I would not hesitate to go with IBM.

But of course, I'd give the new IBM intel machines with Linux a try first.

--
Paul Rech
pauljrech at acm.org
rechpj at bitstream.net