Finally! I have a linux-related question.

Allright. I have have a 3+ year old Dell Inspiron 3200 with the following
config:

            Debian Potato
            Kernel 2.4.16
            Crystal CS4237 chipset sound card

I've read the following sources:
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/jcb35/linux/i3200.html

and
http://members.tripod.com/jeffchiu/linux-i3200.html

What I have done is set the following in my BIOS:
Audio:  [Enabled]
SB I/O Address: [220h]
WSS I/O Address: [530h]
AdLib I/O Address: [388h]
Interrupt: [IRQ5]

and in my lilo.conf I've passed the following parameters:

append="cs4232=0x530,5,1,0,0x330,5"

And now my sound works, kinda. Its super staticy and it won't play mp3's at
all. I remember sound being difficult to setup last time I had debian on
this box (~2 years ago), but I KNOW it is possible to get (luscious)16bit
sound and play mp3s. I don't remember what exactly I had to do last time to
get sound working. I really want this to work, properly. :)

According to dmesg:
<Crystal audio controller (CS4236)> at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1,0

It appears that the parameters are being passed correctly.

I also found this in the kernel docs, but I don't understand what it means:
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/sound/CS4232.html

As of right now sound is NOT configured as a module, it's right in the
kernel because modprobe was not finding the modules.

So any help you may have to get this running would be much appreciated! I
don't want dorkstuff to become a win98 box, but if sound won't work I'll
have to put it on there.:)

Thanks,

Jacque