> I don't know about dd, but there do exist tools that copy one SCSI
> device to another in just plain raw data -- copy protection code and
> all.  I used to have one -- but it wasn't a PC (any OS) toy.  I see no
> reason why Linux couldn't support such a thing, but you wouldn't even
> bother mounting the device.  Just use SCSI commands and keep it pure
> I/O.

I believe at least one of the copy protection schemes used, Safedisc, writes
a cryptographic signature on the CD that cannot be read or written using
"normal" means.  I'm not sure what "normal" means exactly, so don't ask.
When the application starts up, it checks for the presense of this signature
on the CD.  If its not there, the application aborts.  I don't think there
is any easy way to copy the signature, therefore pirates hex edit the
executable to remove the code that checks the CD.  They then copy everything
except the signature.  I believe you can read more at www.gamecopyworld.com
.

Mike