|-----Original Message-----

<snip>
So?  My degrees are in Ancient Mediterranean Languages, can't get much more
irrelevant than that :)

I don't know Perl, didn't even know as much Unix as you say you do when I
started using Linux 3 + years ago.  (some people would say I still don't,
but that's another story).  I started out with a machine that I could crash
and play with to my heart's delight.  That, lots of how-tos and searching
the newsgroups.  I wish I had known about this group then, I would have
saved hours of work, but probably wouldn't have learned as much :)

Don't be afraid to try things and see if they break, just keep a backup of
the config files before you start to play--I never did and ended up
reinstalling more times than I care to remember, and a reinstall on a 486
takes a l-o-n-g time.

Happy playing.

James