Ok, here's something that will work.

Delete your hosed /usr partition
Create a FAT partition that is larger than 80 megs

Get ZipSlack from www.slackware.com. It's a zipfile of a functioning
UMSDOS system.
Somehow unzip that thing into your new ?: drive. If it comes down to it
you can boot a MS floppy, make the partition bootable and transfer the zip
file over a floppy at a time. You could make things nice on yourself if
you can move the zipfile over all at once via a SuperDisk or Zip drive.

Now, use loadlin in ?:linux\root\loadlin to boot your linux kernel. This
is a fully functional linux system so now you can do network access to
format that other unallocated space as ext2. Heck, you could even download
debian and do all your installation work from here. The point is, you're
now running linux on that soon-to-be hibernation area and you can leverage
that into doing an install of whatever you like.

Joshua b. Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
http://www.greentechnologist.org