On Saturday 08 December 2001 10:07, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> I have an idea for a solution that is simple and elegant.
>

> Literally open the API.
> Force MS to release a complete version of the Win32 API for
> certification by IEEE, ANSI, or some similar standards body.
>
> Require that any applications they release function to
> the published and approved API or that any changes required
> for the apps to work are published 3 months before the app
> is released.
>
> Allow one such change per year.
>
> This would allow motivated individuals and companies to compete
> on a level playing field, and provide (IMHO) proper redress
> for the damage done by Microsoft's monopoly.

Based on the discussion Wednesday night at the UUM meeting you might wish to
read through the proposed settlement and note what it doesn't do for you.
(What you've listed.) Send that information to the DOJ as outlined in the
Tunney act section on the web site. I don't remember the URL but if you
search Microsoft DOJ on google it should find it for you.

Also send your suggestions to the MN Atty General's office and urge them to
persue these other options as part of their remedy.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com